As a collective, we are conditioned into thinking watching tv or consuming social media is the normal way to relax after a day’s work. And while there is nothing wrong with that at times, it can make you feel like you are wasting your time away. I am going to offer some alternatives that have minimised my screen time and enabled a more effective evening routine free of distractions and interruptions.
Tips For Making The Most Out Of Your Free Time
- Create your own sanctuary – I have made my bedroom filled with candles and always have my yoga mat laid out for stretching and meditation. You could also have an area with floor cushions some incense or a diffuser. A place where you can stimulate your senses and go to feel at peace. Your mind will begin to associate this space with relaxation.
- Listen to some feel-good music or a podcast while doing the chores – If there’s nothing I want to escape more than technology it’s the part of my evening consumed by household chores. I get myself excited to do these by saving my favourite podcast episodes (hey Oprah) or playlist that will make the time feel more enjoyable.
- Having technology free zones in your home – I have started leaving my phone outside of the bedroom at night which has done wonders for my sleep. It has also set a boundary with family and friends that I will be unavailable by a certain time which removes the pressure of feeling like you must always be contactable.
- Start an extra curricula activity on a weeknight – Wherever you live there is bound to be a host of events and activities doing sports or something creative. Challenge yourself to try out a new practice and enjoy the benefits of a new experience and social connections.
- Sit in nature – Part of having a 9-5 means you spend so much time indoors. Schedule a meeting over the phone and take a walk or take some time just to breathe and take a slower pace. I love to go find a tree to sit under and read a book and just feel at peace. It really makes you realise how much appreciation you can have for simplicity.
In order to make the most out of your free time it does require a degree of discipline to get started. It’s easy to spend the free time we have getting distracted and procrastinating. Being practical with your free time will make you feel a greater sense of fulfilment for the life that you are living.
How do you make use of your free time?